British deputy high commissioner is summoned after India’s flag is pulled down in the UK.
The Indian government called the “senior-most” UK diplomat and made a strong complaint on Sunday, hours after a group of persons chanting pro-Khalistan slogans brought down the Indian flag at the High Commission in London.
Alex Ellis, the British High Commissioner to India, criticised the pro-Khalistan group’s conduct. “I condemn today’s deplorable acts against the people and premises of the @HCI London – utterly unacceptable,” he said on Twitter.
“The senior-most UK diplomat in New Delhi was summoned late this evening to convey India’s strong outrage at the acts conducted earlier in the day by separatist and extremist forces against the Indian High Commission in London,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.
“An explanation was asked for the complete lack of British security that permitted these elements to penetrate the High Commission premises. “She [Deputy High Commissioner Christina Scott] was reminded of the UK Government’s basic obligations under the Vienna Convention,” it said.
“India finds unacceptable the indifference of the UK Government to the security of Indian diplomatic premises and personnel in the UK,” the MEA said, adding, “It is expected that the UK Government would take immediate steps to identify, arrest and prosecute each one of those involved in today’s incident, and put in place stringent measures to prevent the recurrence of such incidents”.