On Wednesday, an official of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) said that the board would appeal an acquittal of all 32 defendants in the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition case to the Supreme Court.
Haji Mahboob and Syed Akhlaq, residents of Ayodhya, sued the Allahabad High Court on September 30, 2020, after the CBI court acquitted the accused, including former deputy prime minister L K Advani.
On November 9 this year, a two-judge bench of the High Court rejected the revision petition, saying the appellants couldn’t challenge the judgment because they weren’t victims.
The board has now decided to move the Supreme Court against the acquittal, says executive member and spokesperson Syed Qasil Rasool Ilyas.
He told PTI, “We’re going to go to the Supreme Court since the apex court itself said the destruction of the Babri Masjid was criminal.”
According to him, the five-judge Supreme Court bench that delivered the Ayodhya verdict said that destroying the Babri Masjid was a serious violation of the law.
On December 6, 1992, the accused gathered a mob and attacked and burned the houses of appellants Haji Mahboob and Syed Akhlaq, he said.
Mahboob and Akhlaq lived close to Babri Masjid.
Earlier this year, Mahboob and Akhlaq filed an appeal against the CBI Court’s decision.
The High Court said in its order, “After reviewing the foregoing discussion, we’re of the opinion that the instant criminal appeal filed on behalf of the appellants under Section 372 Cr.P.C. is liable to be dismissed under the facts and circumstances of the case, since the appellants don’t have a locus to challenge the impugned judgment and order passed by the trial court. Thus, it’s dismissed.”